About a month ago I shared with you that I’m writing my first “real” book, Real Food For Gestational Diabetes.
Since I announced this, I’ve had even more offers to be interviewed about prenatal nutrition and gestational diabetes. Seems this is a subject people have a lot of questions about!
Recently I sat down to (video) chat with Los Angeles-based doula, Andrea Abenoza-Filardi from Wholistic Beginnings to talk more about GD.
She, along with many other healthcare practitioners, are noticing increased rates of gestational diabetes in their clients. If you’re a regular reader, you’ll recall that up to 18% of pregnant women get diagnosed with gestational diabetes, so it’s no longer a rare complication.
So the question becomes – what can women do to prevent and/or treat gestational diabetes naturally? Andrea and I tackled that question and a whole lot more in this interview.
(We talked for so long that Andrea broke our interview into 4 bite-sized videos.)
Check out the Wholistic Beginnings Gestational Diabetes Interview Parts 1 and 2 below.
In part 1 of this interview, I cover:
- How I (accidentally) became an expert in gestational diabetes.
- Why I’m writing Real Food For Gestational Diabetes.
- What is gestational diabetes?
- Why not all gestational diabetes is the same.
- Why every woman should be screened for gestational diabetes in the first trimester.
- What’s the problem with high blood sugar during pregnancy?
- What are the short and long term risks of gestational diabetes to the baby?
- How (and why) is a baby’s metabolism is affected by gestational diabetes? (this one is key!)
- What are the benefits of maintaining normal blood sugar when you’ve been diagnosed with gestational diabetes?
In part 2 of this interview, I cover:
- What can you do to prevent gestational diabetes?
- Are there certain foods that can trigger gestational diabetes?
- Risk factors for gestational diabetes? Which risk factors are in your control?
- Which foods should women avoid to prevent (or manage) gestational diabetes?
- How to use mindful eating to manage gestational diabetes.
- An explanation of the Hunger Awareness Exercise that helps manage cravings and prevent overeating.
- Is wheat pasta better than white pasta? What about rice pasta? Zucchini noodles?
- How to combine foods to make a pasta meal healthier (and raise the blood sugar less).
Enjoy and please share with any expecting moms you know!
Until next week,
PS – If you have gestational diabetes and need help getting control of your blood sugar, be sure to snag your copy of my FREE guide “5 Tips to Manage Your Blood Sugar, Naturally” below.
UPDATE: My book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes is now available! Check it out HERE!